The Cubs just ended a losing streak over a century long. It was an historic night for the baseball team, and will be one for the books. Today’s list, we count down some other notable sports losing streaks.
- Philadelphia Phillies: In the 1961 season, the Phillies managed to pull off a 23 game losing streak. When they returned from their win, they were greeted by a crowd of about 2000 fans to cheer them on.
- Cleveland Cavaliers: Shortly after LeBron was sent to Miami Heat the Cavaliers suffered a 26 game bender. They finally beat the Clippers 129-119 in overtime to end the streak.
- Washington Capitals and San Jose Sharks: The inaugural 74-75 season for the caps featured a 17 game losing run and set now broken records for most road losses. The Sharks followed suit in their 92-93 debut tying Washington for the longest losing streak in NHL history.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: When the Bucs first joined the NFL, they went almost two season before seeing a single win. After losing 26 games they finally beat the New Orleans Saints. Saints coach Hank Stram took the loss tough and burnt the game film. He was promptly fired afterward.
- Caltech Beavers: In 2007 the Beavers men’s basketball team managed a 207-game losing streak in the NCAA Division III. They finally beat Bard College 81-52, which would be their first win since 1996.