The sexual assault trial of Jian Ghomeshi will resume Tuesday morning, after the court heard from the third accuser for the first time on Monday.
The woman, who cannot be named, testified that the former CBC Radio host choked her without consent as they were kissing in a Toronto park in 2003.
The witness said they were making out when he suddenly and without warning bit her shoulder and put his hands around her neck for several seconds, making it difficult for her to breathe.
She tried to put the incident behind her, and explained that she didn’t immediately report the incident to Police because she worried about the impact the public allegations would have on her brother, who worked in the arts industry.
The witness eventually reported the incident to Police in December 2014 after spotting similarities in Ghomeshi’s behaviour to other women.
Ghomeshi’s lawyer, Marie Henein, pressed the woman about a statement she made to Police just last week, where she admitted to having a sexual encounter with Ghomeshi in the days following the choking incident.
Henein accused her of lying, but the witness insisted it was an ’embarrassing’ omission. The woman acknowledge that she had been misleading, but claimed she didn’t initially think the later sexual encounter was relevant.
Henein also called into question the woman’s claim that she never discussed the specifics of the allegations with her friend and fellow accuser, “Trailer Park Boys” actress Lucy DeCoutere.
Henein told the court the two women exchanged 5,000 messages between October 29th, 2014, the same day DeCoutere went public with her allegations, and September 2015.
In some of the messages, DeCoutere urged the woman to use her own lawyer and publicist.
Ghomeshi has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual assault, and one count of overcome resistance by choking.
The 48-year-old admitted in 2014 to engaging in rough sex acts, but claimed it was consensual.
A fourth woman who has made allegations will be heard in a separate trial in June.