An Ontario judge has ordered Sunrise Propane to pay a fine of $5.3 million following a deadly explosion at one of their North York location back on August 28th, 2008.
The court found that the company did not provide safe training or a safe working environment. Also, they went on to discharge a contaminant and they breached a number of provincial orders connected to the cleanup.
The company’s directors Shay Ben-Moshe and Valery Belahov were found responsible for not trying to avoid defying those orders.
The incident claimed the lives of 25-year-old, Parminder Saini and a 55-year-old firefighter who arrived on the scene to suffer a heart attack a short time after the blast occurred.