NDP Leader Tom Mulcair turned his attention to Canada’s weak auto sector Wednesday, promising to restore the industry that has been slowly fading from this country.
The NDP promise to:
– Make loans to automakers investing in Canada TAX FREE, which would save companies around $20 million a year (Money comes from the Automotive Innovation Fund)
– Double funds in the Automotive Supplier Innovation Program, which currently stands at over $100 million.
– Create something called ICanada, a government resource and group of programs to help expand manufacturing in Canada
– Spend more money on Auto21, an automotive-related research program linked with Canadian universities. Funding has been cut over the last few years.
– Devise a National Automotive Strategy
Do you think the government should offer more taxpayer-funded financial incentives to the automotive giants who make billions in profit every year? Would the loss of this industry cripple Canada’s economy? Would the NDP actually follow through on these promises?
Read more about the NDP’s automotive promises HERE.