A proposed class action lawsuit is seeking $50 million in damages against Casino Rama Resort, which announced it had fallen victim to a “cyber attack” on Thursday.
Charney Lawyers PC and Sutts, Strosberg LLP are representing Casino Rama employees, customers and vendors whose personal information may have been accessed in the alleged breach. The law firms are encouraging those who may be affected to register for the class action.
“This is a massive privacy breach,” lawyer Ted Charney said in a statement. “We still do not know the whole story but it looks like Casino Rama rolled the dice with employee, customer and vendor data rather than invest in state-of-the-art security measures.”
The allegations have not yet been tested in court. The lawsuit is expected to be filed on Monday, according to reports. Class action lawsuits require certification from a court before they can proceed.
The casino, located near Orillia in Rama, Ont., revealed Thursday that it learned company information had been compromised on Nov. 4. The casino warned that the stolen information could be published in the future, and asked those who may be affected to monitor their bank and credit accounts for suspicious activity.
According to the casino, whoever is responsible for the hack claims to have accessed sensitive business and personal data including customer credit inquiries and debt collection information, as well as employee social insurance numbers, dates of birth and payroll information. The hacker says the employee data spans from 2004 to this year, while some of the other information accessed is said to date back to 2007.
“Casino Rama Resort deeply regrets this situation and recognizes the seriousness of this issue. While we continue to investigate we appreciate the understanding of our customers, employees and stakeholders,” the company said in its statement on Thursday.
The matter is being investigated by police and the provincial privacy commissioner has also launched its own investigation.