Today is the late Pablo Picasso’s birthday! The artist would have turned 135. Today on the list we celebrate his birthday with 5 Facts About Pablo Picasso.
- Picasso’s Full Name Has 23 Words: The artist was named after various saints and relatives, giving him a name almost as many words as the alphabet has letters! He shortened it to his first name, and his mother’s last name to create the name he is known by today.
- He was a suspect in the stolen Mona Lisa case: In 1911 when the famous painting was stolen from the Louvre, a friend of his was brought in for questioning and pointing the police in Pablo’s direction. He was brought in by the authorities, but later released.
- His midwife mistook him for a stillborn: Picasso’s birth was so difficult, and he was such a weak baby, that the midwife thought he was a stillborn and left him on a table while she tended to his mother. Luckily, his uncle who was a doctor, saved him.
- It is said his first word was “pencil”: His father was an artist and art professor, therefor he was surrounded by the subject since birth, and his first word was apparently lápiz, the Spanish word for “pencil”.
- His first finished painting was at 9 years old: His father began teaching him art at 7 years old, and by 9 he completed his first painting “Le picador” of a man riding a horse in a bull fight. Picasso progressed so quickly, by 13 his father vowed to give up painting, as he felt Pablo had already surpassed him.