A $71,000 fine has been handed down to a Toronto landlord after a fatal fire at a North York high rise last year.
The unidentified landlord recently pleaded guilty to fire code violations, which were uncovered by Toronto Fire along with The Ontario Fire Marshal’s office, at the building at 2850 Jane Street, south of Finch Avenue.
Officials found that exit signs were not lit up, there were no records of emergency lighting tests and the stairwell door did not close or latch properly.
A woman was found unconscious in the west stairwell, along with her husband and child; she later died of her injuries while the other two survived.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an unattended candle in a second-floor apartment.
**Photo via Global News