A 68-year-old Toronto man has died after getting bit in the thumb by his pet cat.
He went to the doctor after complaining of vague abdominal pain, wheezing and losing 20 pounds in just 2 weeks. The cause was a mystery but eventually it was found that it was the result of the cat bite – he had contracted Pasteurella multocida, a bacteria common in pets’ mouth, which is transmitted by the penetrating bites of cats. Unfortunately, even after antibiotics and surgery, he didn’t make it.
Pet bites are one of the most common reasons people go to hospital emergency rooms. Have you ever experienced an adverse reaction to a pet nip, bite or scratch?
More info here.