Premier Rachel Notley will be in Fort McMurray on Monday to tour the city and begin work on getting tens of thousands of evacuees back home.
Emergency management officials will start the process of examining the damage from the blaze as well as check on infrastructure like natural gas lines and the power grid.
However, as the wildfire is still raging there is no clear timeline when evacuees will be allowed to return.
The last damage assessment estimated 1,600 structures, mostly homes, burned in the south and southwest areas of the city, 435 kilometres northeast of Edmonton.
It has almost been a week since a wildfire, fuelled by strong winds, overwhelmed crews last Tuesday afternoon, cutting the main road through Fort McMurray and sending its 80,000 inhabitants fleeing north and south.
Scott Long of Alberta Emergency Management said on Sunday the provincial response to the disastrous Fort McMurray wildfire has now moved into phase two.
“Now that we’re going into phase two, which is stabilization of the situation — we’re going to start getting some folks on the ground that can start having a look at those damage assessments and getting a better feel for it,” said Long.
Notley also said on Sunday about 250 gas and electrical workers from ATCO were currently in Fort McMurray working to restore the grid where power had been lost.
A provincial state of emergency remained in effect in the Fort McMurray with the latest estimate of the blaze held at 161,000 hectares.
On Sunday, Alberta wildfire manager Chad Morrison said cooler weather, which is expected to last the next few days, helped keep the fire from growing to 200,000 hectares.
By David Shum – Web Producer – Global News
-With a file from Phil Heidenreich