Bill Cosby has lost another legal battle in his attempt to keep a criminal case out of court.
A superior court judge in Pennsylvania has lifted a hold on criminal trial proceedings and rejected Cosby’s appeal, setting the stage for a sexual assault case go go ahead in county court.
A stay had been put on the proceedings after Cosby appealed an earlier ruling that said the prosecution could proceed. That hold was lifted on Monday.
Cosby’s lawyers argued in February the veteran comedian was barred from criminal prosecution due to a previous deal with a former district attorney.
In a statement, Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele said his office is looking forward to presenting the case and that the case can now move on to a preliminary hearing.
Neither Cosby, nor his lawyers, commented on the ruling.
Cosby, 78, is facing trial over an alleged 2004 sexual assault at his home of former Temple University employee Andrea Constand.
Cosby hasn’t entered a plea in the case, and remains free on $1 million bail.
In a deposition, Cosby acknowledged a series of affairs and said he had given quaaludes to women he hoped to seduce.
Cosby is involved in a number of legal battles around the country with women who have accused him fof sexual assault or defamation.
Steele said evidence from unsealed portions of the civil deposition from 2005-2006 involving Constand warrant charges.