Tow Truck drivers attempted to clog busy routes into Toronto Tuesday in protest over Bill 15. The bill goes into effect next year, and seeks to bring changes to the towing industry in the province.
Organizers claimed that the demonstration would see over 1,000 trucks slowly make their way to Queen’s Park during the morning commute.
Only about 100 turned out for the event.
Here’s what Bill 15 will do for consumers:
– create a Tow and Storage Consumer’s Bill of Rights (consumers will be given ability to choose where their vehicles are towed to)
– require permission from consumer before towing and storage services are charged
– allow motorists to pay using credit card rather than cash
– give motorists access to their vehicle to remove personal contents
– require tow providers to provide an itemized invoice listing the services provided along with costs.
Why are tow truck drivers protesting these changes? The industry argues that they’ll face more restrictions, and will have to raise prices to make up for increased costs.