Some quick facts about 2016 Valentine’s Day, based on several surveys:
- 80% of couples plan on celebrating the day.
- Americans are spending an average of $212 on the holiday. The average was $296 in 2015 and $213 in 2014. This number is comprised of costs from dining and gifts. Money for gifts is an average of $72 and dining costs are an average of $70.
- More couples are opting out this year to have a romantic dinner at home (up 24% from last year).
- 35% of couples view it more as a fun and casual holiday, while 28% treat it seriously, as a way to celebrate their relationships.
- 8% of adults plan to propose this year. This number is down because people are popping the question during romantic getaways, special meals or a home experience.
- 22% of couples said they met online or through a digital dating app.
What is romance? Here’s what John Oakley, Lyndsey and Jimmy think: