York Region police have confirmed that kibble laced with anti-freeze was spread in Vaughan last month — killing a six-year-old dog.
Police say the dog named Coca had to be euthanized after eating the kibble while out walking with its owner.
Investigators found dog food spread over a 4.5 metre area near a mailbox on Shawbridge Boulevard in the area of Gidleigh Park Crescent.
Police sent the kibble to the Centre of Forensic Science and they have confirmed it was contaminated with glycol or anti-freeze.
Police have said that if the incident was proved to be a deliberate poisoning attempt, it would be treated as a criminal offence of animal cruelty.
Investigators from Criminal Investigations Bureau will be canvassing for witnesses in the Shawbridge Boulevard area over the next few days.