Canadians have been described as friendly, helpful and well-mannered people, according to a simple Google search.
We’ve also been described as happy, but when it comes to debt and the state of our personal finances, that happiness fades.
An Ipsos Reid panel done for Sun Life Financial finds while 85% of Canadians are happy overall, about half say what they owe is bringing them down.
The top 5 factors that make Canadians unhappy, according to the survey:
- Debt load (45%)
- Level of disposable income (43%)
- State of the economy (41%)
- Finances (40%)
- Income (39%)
- My children (87%)
- My spouse/partner, My family (tied at 80%)
- Providing care for my children (76%)
- My lifestyle in retirement, My home, My friends (tied at 74%)
- The amount of personal time I have (66%)