An Etobicoke home owner has been charged with allegedly disabling a carbon monoxide alarm less than a week after he, his wife and 2 year old child required hospitalization for exposure to the gas.
Toronto Fire were called to the home on West Wareside Road, near Renforth Drive and Rathburn Road in the early hours of November 25th after receiving reports that the occupants of the home were falling in and out of consciousness.
The two adults and the child were removed from the home and transported to hospital while a firefighter involved in the rescue also required hospitalization for carbon-monoxide exposure, though all are expected to make a full recovery.
Air monitoring tests were carried out in the home and found readings of carbon monoxide at 900 parts per million, which far exceeds acceptable levels.
It was then revealed that although the house did have a carbon monoxide alarm, something which is required by law in Ontario, the father had disabled it about a week and a half before the family fell ill as it had been going off.
The homeowner had believed that it was giving off false alarms and that the device was defective.
The Ontario Fire Code prohibits disabling carbon-monoxide alarms with penalties for Fire Code violations running up to $50,000 and/or a year in jail.