York Regional Police are appealing for information following the death of a dog who ate kibble which may have been laced with antifreeze in Vaughan.
According to police, the dog’s owner had taken her for a walk on Shawbridge Boulevard in the area of Gidleigh Park Crescent on Wednesday November 25th.
The dog ate something from the ground and later became violently ill, she was taken to a veterinarian who told the owner that the that the symptoms the dog was suffering from were consistent with glycol or antifreeze poisoning.
Unfortunately by Friday the 27th, the dog’s condition had deteriorated to a point where she had to be euthanized.
The dog’s owner contacted police on Monday the 30th and dog kibble was found spread over a 15-foot area around the mailbox where the dog had eaten something, the kibble was seized by investigators and is now being tested to determine if it has been laced with antifreeze.
It follows a similar incident in the Thorncliffe Park Drive and Overlea Boulevard area of Toronto on Friday when another dog become ill after eating what is thought to have been a tainted treat.
Police are asking anyone who observed any suspicious activity in the area to come forward and are also warning dog owners and parents to be extra vigilant and ensure that pets and children aren’t eating anything found on the ground.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the York Regional Police #4 District Criminal Investigations Bureau at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7441, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-tips.