On Tuesday, Canadian’s will be learning more about the government’s plan to fast-track 25,000 refugee’s into the country by they end of the year.
Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall is among those criticizing the plan, but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he remains committed to the promises touted through the federal election.
CBC News is reporting that in an attempt to put some security concerns to rest, unaccompanied men seeking asylum will not be part of the program. This means only women, children, and families will be admitted into Canada.
CBC also says that in the last 6 weeks alone, authorities from Canada have been screening around 100 people a day in Lebanon in an attempt to speed up the target by the end of the year. That’s in addition to the refugee’s being processed by the United Nations Refugee Agency.
Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said last week the process is on top of the efforts already in place by the UN. Canada’s screening is being co-ordinated across multiple departments, including CSIS and the RCMP.
According to the Canadian Press, the total cost of the program is $1.2 billion over six years.