Education Minister Liz Sandals says the province has reached a tentative deal with the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario, ending a work-to-rule campaign that began last spring.
The ETFO started the strike action in May that they escalated near the beginning of the school year and again last month when they withdrew from extracurricular activities.
Liz Sandals says the deadline for producing fall progress reports will be extended from Nov. 20 to Dec. 11 to allow time for their full preparation with comments.
She says all 5 deals reached with teacher federations and with CUPE are net zero deals, which means any salary increases are offset through savings elsewhere.
“This round of bargaining has been exceptionally lengthy and difficult but in the end we achieved a tentative agreement that ETFO believes is fair and meets the needs of our members,” said ETFO President Sam Hammond.
An ETFO all-member vote among teachers and occasional teachers will be conducted regarding the tentative agreement, with the results of that vote expected in mid-November.
The government also reached a deal Monday with support staff represented by the Canadian Union of Public Employees.
Sandals says the government isn’t covering the negotiating costs of either of those unions, as it has for the unions representing high school teachers, English Catholic teachers and French teachers, to the tune of $2.5 million.
The government has not yet reached a deal with education workers represented by the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation, and Sandals says she has now given school boards consent to dock the pay of those workers engaging in a work-to-rule campaign.