A deal between the EFTO and OPSBA appears to be close, as most issues have now been resolved during their on-going contract dispute.
The only two issues that are pending between The Ontario Public School Board’s Association and the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario is benefits and taking sick leave.
In regards to the issue behind sick leave, the OPSBA and the government have planned to make adjustments as to how they w3ill administer 131 days that would be given to teachers for sick leave.
According to Jeff Sprang with the OSBPA they have a tentative agreement in place for the following issues.
- Salary increase
- Supervision time for teachers
- Preparation time for teachers
- Classroom sizes
- Hiring Practices (Regulation 274)
- Professional Activity Day (added to school schedule)
- New Ministry initiatives that are in place until August 31st, 2016 for ETFO (until consultation)
- Groups and committees that address unique issues for ETFO (Full Day Kindergarten, class sizes between grades 4-8, Special Education work load and Health and Safety issues)