18-year-old Queen’s University student Andrea Mariano had just started her post-secondary experience at the Kingston institution when she suffered an anaphylactic reaction. She died at Kingston General Hospital on September 18.
Her family has revealed that her death was related to an allergic reaction.
Reports suggest that she was allergic to peanuts.
Flags have been lowered in Andrea’s honour.
Statistics Canada suggests that number of Canadians who suffer from an allergy is on the rise, with 2.5 million Canadians having at least one food allergy, 300,000 of them being under the age of 18.
If you have an allergy, how to you protect yourself when you’re out in public, where dangerous substances are lurking on every surface and door handle? What do you do to ensure the safety of your children? Are schools doing enough to protect those with the problem?
The problem sparked a pilot project in Hamilton, where guards at Jackson Square mall were trained in the use of and carried auto injectors, one of them being an EpiPen.
Since the start of the $100,000 project, only ONE person had a food allergy emergency, but they didn’t require a mall EpiPen as they carried their own.