Red Door Family Shelter hopes to raise $10,000 in donations during the Yonge Street 10K Run, Sunday.
“On any given night, over 50 per cent of the residents of the Red Door Family Shelter are children, and the proceeds from the run today are in support of those kids,” says Executive Director Berrnnitta Hawkins.
“They need the support in order to weather the storms their families are going through.”
Early estimates suggest donations have topped $12,000.
A number of road closures are also in effect for the event.
The race will kick off at 9 a.m. from Yonge Street and Castlefield Road.
Then it will make its way southbound on Yonge Street down to Richmond Street.
From there it will travel westbound over to Peter and Front streets and it will end at Fort York Boulevard.
Motorists and commuters can expect closures on the following routes:
- Yonge Street from Broadway Avenue to King Street
- Richmond Street West from Yonge Street to Peter Street
- Peter Street (Blue Jays Way) from Richmond Street West to Front Street West
- Front Street West from Blue Jays Way to Bathurst Street
- Bathurst Street from King Street West to Lake Shore Boulevard
- Fort York Boulevard from Bathurst Street to LakeShore Boulevard
- Fleet Street from Strachan Avenue to Fort York Boulevard